Dropping sound sample on linux ppc?

Jeffrey W. Baker jwbaker at acm.org
Mon Oct 8 21:05:29 CEST 2001

I downloaded these binaries with Altivec enabled:

http://www.cpu.lu/~mlan/ftp/debian/vlc-snapshot-20011004/

The problem is that if I use the OSS output the sound stutters and is WAY
off.  The sounds drops about 100msec/sec and is at least 5 seconds behind
the action.

When I use the ESD output, I don't get these dropouts, but I do get some
infrequent dropouts and the synchronization is off by a little
(characteristic of ESD I'm sure).

MPG123 works fine and all other sound applications also work fine.  Only
VLC has problems.

Anyone else seeing these problems?

I want to try the ALSA output, but ALSA can't build the pmac driver on the
current PPC kernel.

-jwb