More on dropped samples

Jeffrey W. Baker jwbaker at acm.org
Mon Oct 15 23:46:27 CEST 2001

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Hamish Marson wrote:

> But that's exactly where vlc SHOULD spend it's time... i.e. idle... The
> cond_wait is (presumably) mapped to pthread_cond_wait, which will put a
> thread to sleep until the condition is met (i.e. something is broadcast to
> the condition variable). Thus you'd see the thread spend large amounts of
> real time in there because it's mostly idle...
>
> What's probably not happening is the wakeup happening in time... Perhaps the
> condition needs to be at a higher priority, using real time scheduling?

Sure, I see what the design is trying to do, but it seems really obtuse
for a simple task.  Why doesn't the aout thread loop in cond_wait, take
all available frames from a linked list, and write to the audio device.

The current algorithm waits on a condition in three separate places, and
also does a sleep!  It seems really queer.

-jwb