vlc 0.2.83/CVS plays dvd only partial

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sat Sep 8 00:42:46 CEST 2001

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001 Hans-Peter Jansen Wrote:

>Both, release version 0.2.83 and yesterdays CVS is able to play the first
>23 min. of my abyss dvd. Playing stops always at end of chapter 11.
>The dvd contains two streams, 1st with 54 chapters, the other with 45.
>Trying to go to further chapters fails, no matter which stream.
>

>The stream size seems to be related to one file. The slider is scaled to
>23 min. I assume, under normal conditions, the slider scales to the full
>playtime, not the length of the current file, or is it intended behaviour
>of current implementation?

Indeed the slider should represent a complete title, but the DVD navigation code currently has some problems and doesn't handle well a few DVDs.

>The only other point are regular horizontal distortions in strong moving
>parts of the screen, independant from output and display mode.
>sld, xvideo, x11, fullscreen, window tested.

This effect is known as the combing effect and is produced because the video is encoded for an interlaced display but is displayed on a computer screen which has a progressive scan.
There are ways to reduce these artifacts but vlc doesn't currently implement any.

Regards,

--
Gildas

Une gamme d'outils gratuits et performants à votre service.
Web/Wap : www.netcourrier.com
Téléphone/Fax : 08 92 69 00 21 (0,34 E TTC/min - 2,21 F TTC/min)
Minitel: 3615 NETCOURRIER (0,15 E TTC/min - 1,00 F TTC/min)