p_main->p_sys

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Mon Apr 29 20:03:07 CEST 2002

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002, Gildas Bazin wrote:

> Dunno... I kind of like having the crusty OS specific details in a separate
> structure. That way, I don't polute too much the p_main structure with
> Win32 specific details. Also if in the future we want to allow for some
> kind of plugins binary comaptibility between minor releases, it might make
> things easier to have this p_main->p_sys structure.

   Well if a change to p_main breaks compatibility I fail to see how the
same change to p_main->p_sys could help in any way...

> And by the way, what do you think about this plugins binary compatibility
> thing ? Do you think this feature would be worth having ?

   Definitely. For the moment, plugin versions are evolving with the vlc
version because the code is moving very fast, but once we have a stable
API for plugins I hope we'll be able to get decent binary compatibility.

--
Sam.