[vlc-devel] Re: CVS Commit (sam)

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Sat Dec 7 23:47:18 CET 2002

At 16:43 +0100 7/12/2002, Gildas Bazin wrote :

>Maybe it is useful in this special case, but if you read the gcc
>documentation for this flag, you'll realize that its purpose is to spot C
>construct which aren't compatible with pre-standard C. Considering that
>we're not even using strict ANSI C anymore, I find this pretty
>useless/annoying.

I agree with gibalou at 200 %. I have already removed -Wtraditional,
which produced so much output on OS X that gcc result was unreadable.
And I plead for the removal of the following options too :

        -Wconversion
            Warn if a prototype causes a type conversion that is different from
            what would happen to the same argument in the absence of a proto-
            type.
        -Wsign-compare
            Warn when a comparison between signed and unsigned values could
            produce an incorrect result when the signed value is converted to
            unsigned.

I don't see why you'd want to put those warnings by default. It does
not necessarily indicate an error, as long as you know what you're
doing. So fixing those warnings make me waste my time instead of
finding real bugs.

        -Wunreachable-code
            Warn if the compiler detects that code will never be executed.

On my computer gcc produces thousands of warnings with this option.
And I *really* don't know what is wrong with those lines, so I
suppose gcc is going mad with this option. So I'd like this to be
removed, too.

--
Christophe Massiot.