[vlc-devel] Re: VLC 0.5.0 ?

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sun Dec 8 14:31:00 CET 2002

On Sunday 08 December 2002 14:20, Christophe Massiot wrote:

> With all your respect, gibalou, nobody cares. This is the kind of
> under-the-hood improvements which users won't even notice if it's not
> there. Default values for variables weren't settable in 0.4.6 either,
> so people won't see a regression. So I think this shouldn't prevent
> us from releasing 0.5.0, and it can wait for a 0.5.1 if it's not
> ready.

I agree that there is no regression from a user point of view in 0.5.0. But
I must say that I also had the secret hope that 0.5.0 could make enough an
impact that some developers would move from xine or mplayer to vlc. I don't
see this happening right now because we've got nothing more than these 2
players. IMHO, what is really missing right now in vlc to attract more
users/developpers is a really nice user interface. More specifically we
miss interfaces that are friendly to power users as well as casual users.

But I also do understand that adding these features will take quite some
time.

--
Gildas