[vlc-devel] Re: VLC 0.5.0 ?

Boris Dorès babal at via.ecp.fr
Sun Dec 8 18:04:31 CET 2002

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00:08AM (GMT+0100), Christophe Massiot wrote:
> 0.5.0 is going to be a killer app, and I'm wondering what's missing
> for a release. I mean, in which areas are there feature regressions
> from 0.4.6 ? I don't think we should care about new unfinished
> features, or future under-the-hood improvement, because frankly the
> user doesn't care, and they can wait for 0.5.x releases.
>
> * audio output: can be considered stable
> * macosx: the only missing feature is The Return of the Porn Slider [jlj]
> * vlcs: vlcs support is broken
> * all interfaces: missing support for aout3

  I just read the conversion between you and Gildas, and I see good
points in both your mail, so I think there is an in-between.

  I tend to agree with Gildas on the will to make a killer app with
vlc-0.5. But let's face it, to do so, in a perfect world, there should
be improvements:
- on the video part (plugin management, ...)
- on the audio part (improving the overall quality and developping lots
  of fancy plugins to catch up with other players)
- and most of all, there is a lot of work needed on the interface side

  But Meuuh is right, we cannot afford the development time. So we
should say it's the main goal for the entire 0.5 release.

  I also liked Gildas's idea of a pre-release, but it seems to be also
a bad idea according to Meuuh. However, we cannot deny there has been
some major improvements and rewriting since the last release, and few
testing, _especially_on_some_plateforms_: so nobody wll deny there must
be quite a lot of bugs. And I don't think it's a good idea to release
a "not too stable" version, risking to undermine all the new promising
features (even disregarding the ones not yet implemented as discussed
above).

  So may I suggest the following ? Why not start an intensive bug
tracking session which will last a week or so on _all_ plateforms and
"try" to release a "promising stable version" on the way to Christmas ?

  By the way, for that purpose, we should officially start to use
bugzilla, which some people have proposed and now use without really

--
babal