[vlc-devel] Re: CVS Commit (babal)

Boris Dorès babal at via.ecp.fr
Fri Dec 13 23:17:29 CET 2002

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 06:10:12PM (GMT+0100), Sigmund Augdal wrote:
> > - vlc_playlist.h, playlist.c: added the ability to save a playlist to
> >   and restore it from a file chosen by the user.
> Which format is used here? Opening .m3u and .asx files is allready supported
> so I hope we are not duplicating code here.

  Well, er, you're right, I should have paid more attention to that
(I did take a quick look at the m3u.c file, though obviously not long
enough). Sorry.

  I just did a few test and took a deeper look at the m3u.c file, and
here are my conclusions :
- actually I used a file format quite close to the m3u one (one
  p_playlist->ppitems[*]->psz_uri per line, commented lines begin with
  '#'). So it wouldn't be very long to change the code in order to save
  in a strict m3u format (in fact, it would just involve changing the
  header and take Windows path format into account in m3u.c).
- however, according to m3u.c, .m3u file format doesn't seem able to
  store "dvd:*", "vcd:*" and "udp:*" input for instance
- it could also be uneasy to create the "#length/title" line to be
  perfectly standard.

  Do you want me/us to save the playlist in a strict m3u format and so
extend the m3u.c file in any appropriate way to read saved playlist, or
do we keep that additional format ?

--
babal

PS: I failed to find _extensive_ description of the m3u file format
with Google, would you have such information ?