wxWindows interface plugin ?

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Mon Jul 8 19:44:50 CEST 2002

Hi all,

I know it's kind of late to talk about this after all the work that has been
done on the Win32 interface with borland builder but I think we should
consider dropping the borland builder interface in favor of a wxWindows
interface.

As I understand, the 4 points that motivated the developpement of the native
(borland builder) interface were:
1 - The availability of an IDE (borland builder) that made the design of the
interface easier.
2 - Having a native look-and-feel interface (as opposed to the GTK one).
3 - Being able to ship the interface plugin without dependancies on external
DLLs (as opposed to the GTK one).
4 - Having a small footprint plugin (as opposed to the GTK one which is
shipped with relatively big DLLs).

I believe wxWindows (www.wxwindows.org) has all these advantages as well
(although I'm not 100% certain about the 4th point) _and_ it is also
cross-platform.

What does motivate me for a change is:
1 - Borland Builder is a propietary (I mean closed source).
2 - You have to pay for it (only the borland compiler is free, isn't it ?).
3 - You cannot compile the interface except with the borland compiler.
3 - WxWindows is cross-platform and can be used with whichever compiler you
want.

I guess what I'm really asking is whether or not Ipkiss would be interested
in investigating this solution ;-)

--
Gildas