0.4.1&0.4.0 Linux&Windows client MPEG2 PS&TS broken?

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at wxs.nl
Mon Jul 8 22:30:02 CEST 2002

Johann Hanne wrote:
> Hi all,
>

>>For MPEG SP-TS You need the PCR_PID, PAT (PID 0) and PMT otherwise no
>>decoder can tell what Video and Audio Pids it should decode. Translation
>>an incomplete Transport Stream to PS will not help. In addition the PS
>>will probably also miss some crucial MPEG PS header information.
>

> Well, you could "simply" use the first video and audio stream in the TS
> and play it?
NO, it could be the second or third or fourth or fifth. You get the
idea? ;-)

> However, I have modified the program to record PID 0 (PAT), PID 100 (PMT),
> PID 110 (video and PCR) and PID 120 (audio). The result is still the same.
> Of course not all PMT-PIDs given in the PAT are available. Is this is
> problem? Should I modify the PAT to only include the reference to PID 100?

The PAT and PMT should match the SP-TS (Single Program Transport
Stream). Otherwise a MPEG decoder does not know which program to decode.

Vlc can play MPEG-TS files from disk. It also can read them when there
is a MP-TS (Multi Program Transport Stream) PAT and PMT's. Then you have
to choose the right PMT from the menu View|Program. This might work.

> Has anybody actually tried out to play MPEG TS from a file? What should
> vlc actually do? Shouldn't there be an option for choosing a program
> number (i've tried the --program parameter without success)?

Did you fill in the PMT PID number?

Reading a SP-TS from file is no problem as long as it is a *valid*
SP-TS. Officially a SP-TS with the original PAT and PMT in it is no
SP-TS. It would be better to modify the PAT to only include the PMT of
the program that is recorded. Also correct the CRC32 in there if you are
at it.

> Cheers, Jonny <jonny at 1409.org>

This all will work provided that the DVB card produces a valid Mpeg-TS
stream. With that I limit the DVB cards to Hauppage Win-TV Nova model
542. If you are using a DVB-S or probably even a DVB-C card, then there
are more problems.

I suggest to continue this discussion which is highly development
oriented on vlc-devel at videolan.org, instead of the user mailing list for
vlc.
Greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman.