the big modules changes

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Wed Jul 31 21:37:11 CEST 2002

At 19:22 +0200 31/07/2002, Samuel Hocevar wrote :

>    I am about to commit quite a few changes in the way modules work, and
>as usual most module files will need to be changed. People currently
>working on a module will 1.) hate me

Impossible. We already do :p.

>    In the process I would also like to clean the mess in the plugins/
>directory, which is becoming hard to follow. I will tune the Makefile
>so that it can build modules deeper in the tree, and I suggest the
>following layout:
>
>    modules +-> audio +-> output -> dsp alsa arts ...
>            |         +-> mixer -> ...
>            |         `-> filter -> ...
>            +-> video +-> output -> x11, ggi, glide, ...
>            |         +-> chroma -> i420_rgb, i420_yuy2, ...
>            |         `-> filter -> transform, deinterlace, ...
>            +-> access +-> file, network, ...
>            |          +-> vcd
>                       `-> dvd -> dvd, dvdread, dvdplay, ...
>            +-> demux -> mpeg, mp4, ...
>            +-> codec +-> mpeg +-> audio -> adec, mad
>            |         |        `-> video -> vdec
>            |         +-> a52 -> a52dec
>            |         `-> ffmpeg
>            +-> interface -> qt, gtk, kde, ...
>            `-> arch -> macosx, qnx, beos, win32, ...

Beware, you missed a | somewhere. That's basically a good idea,
though I have a few comments.

. The place of vcd, dvd, dvdread and dvdplay isn't easy to find :
they're both access and demux plug-ins.

. I would avoid the third level of directory.  Having
vlc/plugins/audio/output/dsp is a pain in the ass, and I hate
programs with 1000 subdirectories. vlc/plugins/audio_output/dsp is a
bit better and doesn't add too much complexity. Codec is even worse,
I'd prefer vlc/plugins/codec/mpeg_adec, vlc/plugins/codec/mad. There
is no need to put mad in an "mpeg"/"audio" subdirectory, we don't
have that many codecs.

. Maybe it isn't necessary to move some of the plug-ins right now ?
For instance the audio plug-ins will change a lot in the very near
future and I can handle it. And I'm in favour of completely removing
ac3_adec from the CVS, now that a52dec is thread-safe, is faster,
crashes less, and is much more understandable.

Anyway, I suggest that before checking in the whole bazunga, you post
the result of find plugins -type d, so that we can comment before any
harm is done.

--
Christophe Massiot.