Optimizations ?

FXGS lead developer zedek at fxgsproject.org
Sun Jun 2 17:28:18 CEST 2002

Hi feloow coders,

I am working on the ogg/vorbis plugin so I always need to compile and test my code doesn't
break something in the code.

What I wanna discuss here is about possible optimizations. In fact, I guess code is more and
more slow  and my PIII 1,2Ghz has more and more difficulties to show me a fullscreen movie.

With the default optimizations settings (in Makefile.opts), vlc eats almost 95%
of the cpu !!

I have tried to figure out a way to make gcc optimize a little bit passing it
the -fforce-addr -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -malign-functions=4 and
I won about 20-25% of preformance.

So for now I can have a fullscreen movie for 70% but it is still too much to see something
without "jumps".

I think there are no other optimization possible with gcc and I am asking me wether
somebody is working for better performance.

Last question, is my case isolated or are there any other with the same problem ?

For informations this my default development config :

Dell Inspiron 4100
PIII 1,2Ghz 256 Ram
NVidia Geforce2GO 32Mo
GNU/Debian woody