Optimizations ?

Xavier MAILLARD zedek at fxgsproject.org
Mon Jun 3 22:00:03 CEST 2002

Hi,

I had have these results using GCC 2.95.3. What's more accordingly to the GCC ML,
GCC 3.1 seems to be more powerfull in optimizing code. But optimization by complier is
not the solution. I think code needs had-coded solutions to be quicker.

Finally, on my desktop computer I have a startup script that is in charge of activating
DMA & co on my DVD rom and HD using hdparm. Such script is not present on my laptop computer so
I have to activate DMA (hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd) each time manually.
When activated, DMA optimization allows good performance even in fullscreen mode.

In conclusion, my gcc compilation line + DMA activated take about 50-60%. This is enough to have something smooth but I'm sure we can have better performance.

zeDek