@Authorization request for redistribution of your programs,VideoLAN client Mac OS X

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Tue Jun 18 00:18:12 CEST 2002

Hello,

At 15:22 +0900 17/06/2002, Kobayashi Kenichi wrote :

>This is Kobayashi Kenichi, an editor of 'MacPower' magazine, a monthly
>Macintosh magazine published in Japan.
>
>I am in charge of the shareware department and am writing this letter
>torequest your authorization 1) to introduce your program,
>VideoLAN client Mac OS X'on our magazine in Japanese and 2)
>to include it on our CD-ROM.

Redistribution of VideoLAN software is free, provided it is done
according to the terms of the GNU GPL licence. In order to comply,
you must distribute together, on the same CD-ROM :
  - the source code of VLC and third-party libraries ;
  - the GPL licence ;
  - the binary of VLC for Mac OS X.

In a nutshell you must include the following files :
  - http://www.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0.4.1/vlc-0.4.1.tar.gz
  - http://www.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0.4.1/macosx/vlc-0.4.1.dmg
(both files contain the GPL licence)
  - and third-party libraries :
    http://www.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0.4.1/contrib/a52dec-0.7.3.tar.gz
    http://www.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0.4.1/contrib/ffmpeg-20020604.tar.gz
    http://www.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0.4.1/contrib/libdvbpsi-0.1.1.tar.gz
    http://www.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0.4.1/contrib/libdvdcss-1.2.1.tar.gz
    http://www.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0.4.1/contrib/mad-0.14.2b.tar.gz

If you prefer, instead of distributing the vlc-0.4.1.dmg disk image
(which is probably the only thing your users will care about), you
can expand the entire content of the image into a directory and burn
it in the CD-ROM. In that case you must include the vlc.app
application along with the text files that accompany it in the
archive.

However, there is something more you need to know. The VLC binary
from the website can also read encrypted DVD, and for that we use a
library which breaks the CSS encryption algorithm. The use of this
library is illegal in several countries, for instance in the USA.
More precisely, in all countries which have a DMCA-like law (law to
protect the copyright). I don't know about Japan. If you'd like, I
can build a binary of VLC without this library, but it means the
binary won't be able to read most DVDs.

0.4.1, from http://www.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0.4.1/.

>When you allow us the inclusion, would you tell me your post-address tosend
>you a copy of MacPower when it comes out.

Our snail-mail address is :

VIA Centrale Reseaux/VideoLAN
Residence de l'Ecole Centrale Paris
2 avenue Sully-Prudhomme
F-92290 Chatenay-Malabry
FRANCE

>Thank you for taking your time to read this letter. Thank you for taking
>atime for consideration. And thank you in advance for replying.

And thank you for asking :-). Don't hesitate to ask us again if
anything isn't clear enough.

Sincerly,

--
Christophe Massiot, VideoLAN project.