[LONG] Mixers - suggestions needed

Loïc Minier lool at via.ecp.fr
Tue Mar 19 00:30:40 CET 2002

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002, Gildas Bazin wrote:
> I was thinking about a generic array, something like:
> CENTER_CHANNEL
> LEFT_CHANNEL
> RIGHT_CHANNEL
> etc...

 I thought of it too but I'm not 100% satisfied with the model.

 The problem for me is that the vlc becomes number of channels
dependent, because he has to know which gains to use for a 1 channel
output, a two channels one etc. There's no way of ordering these so that
the number_of_channels first ones correspond    :^(

 Just a detail, I first thought of having multiple mixers at the same
time... While this will be possible, since only one audio output exists
at the same time, only one mixer of the type I originally wanted to
create will be necessary, that means only one "gains" section in the
preferences.

> - performant solution: let liba52 do the downmixing but then you cannot use
> the mixer (well the mixer sees only the result channels after the
> downmixing).

 Or may be there's a way of doing that / adding it in liba52, but this a
detail.

--
Loïc Minier <lool at via.ecp.fr>