[vlc-devel] Re: help compiling win32 plugin

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Wed Oct 9 15:52:11 CEST 2002

On Wednesday 09 October 2002 15:27, Sigmund Augdal wrote:
> > - With a recent cvs snapshot you can also try to compile vlc with the
> > cygwin environment (www.cygwin.com). However building vlc with cygwin
> > hasn't been fully tested yet and my be problematic.
>
> I tried that this summer. It did compile (after some work) but it was no
> fun, as I got no gui, no video output and no audio output, except the
> dummy module.

Yeah I noticed that. Thanks for starting the work on this.

A few days ago I also did a few changes that allow you to use the
"-mno-cygwin" option of cygwin's gcc. This option makes this gcc act as a
mingw32 gcc, i.e the resulting binaries are linked against msvcrt.dll and
not cygwin1.dll.
Using this option provides a really nice alternative to the MSYS+MINGW build
system (I have to admit that cygwin is easier and more stable than MSYS).

I also enabled the directx plugins when compiling with cygwin so you can
have a native output now.

However there is still the issue of the GUI that isn't solved yet and a few
other small problems that need to be ironed out.

--
Gildas