[vlc-devel] Re: help compiling win32 plugin

Graeme Ogilvie graeme_ogilvie at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 9 18:19:19 CEST 2002

Well, I've made a bit of progress because my bootstrap process seems to
work fine (at least it doesn't hang).

I had one problem which was staring at me all afternoon until I just
suddenly noticed what it was.....

IMPORTANT NOTE: your version of automake has a bug which will
prevent proper plugin compilation. Either compile VLC with
the --disable-plugins flag, or use a version of automake newer
than 1.6.1 (1.6.2 is OK, and so are the 1.5 series).

And then I remembered the MsysDTK that you pointed to me uses
automake-1.6.1.

Any ideas on how to update it?

It then starts to run the configure script, but gets stuck at the C
compiler output - not sure if this is due to the automake problem or
not.

configure: loading site script /etc/config.site
checking host system type... i586-pc-mingw32msvc
checking target system type... i586-pc-mingw32msvc
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for i586-mingw32msvc-strip... i586-mingw32msvc-strip
checking for i586-mingw32msvc-gcc... i586-mingw32msvc-gcc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
cannot create executables

Graeme

P.S.  I am documenting this procedure on how to setup a build
environment under Windows as I go along :-)