[vlc-devel] [ANN] VideoLAN Client 0.4.5

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Mon Oct 14 23:44:52 CEST 2002

The VideoLAN team is excited to announce version 0.4.5 "(insert a
joke here)" of VLC, the VideoLAN Client, a multimedia player for
MPEG, DVD, VCD and DivX for most operating systems.

VLC 0.4.5 is a minor maintenance release. The most important
enhancements include:

* Linked with libdvdcss 1.2.3, which allows Win32 users to read DVDs
in non-administrator mode, and fixes other Win32 bugs,
* Brand new interface for iPaq familiar Linux, and support for Qt/embedded,
* Major enhancements to the BeOS port,
* New --iface-addr option to select which interface to use for
multicast streams,
* RTP input support,
* Fix for the LPCM decoder on big-endian machines,
* Can read streams from VLS 0.4.0, and streams with A/52 coming from
the American television. It is still possible to read from VLC 0.3.x
with the --vls-backwards-compat option.

The full ChangeLog is at : http://www.videolan.org/vlc/changelog.html

You can download VLC 0.4.5 via HTTP or FTP :

       http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download.html
       ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/0.4.5/

Tarballs are available, as well as x86 Debian and Mandrake, Windows,
BeOS and MacOS X packages. Binary builds for other architectures will
be available later; if you build a package, you can upload it to our
incoming directory:

       ftp://ftp.videolan.org/incoming/

People who downloaded pre-releases of VLC from the website before
this official announcement are invited to do it again, since bugs
have been fixed this afternoon.

I remind you that VideoLAN is an open project and you can contribute
to it. For more information, please read:

       http://www.videolan.org/contribute.html

Enjoy.

For the VideoLAN team,

--