[vlc-devel] Re: Exploring OS X Acceleration

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Wed Oct 23 23:35:43 CEST 2002

At 15:20 -0400 23/10/2002, Dan Macpherson wrote :

>In terms of where acceleration should occur, I was thinking that the codecs
>could take advantage these functions from a lower level.
>(I haven't had time to look at the codec source yet). I have looked at the
>Project Builder source, and it could be rewritten to use surfaces from
>framebuffer memory supplied at the codec level to the higher-end UI.

Yes but please bear in mind that we don't use any surface, we need a
YUV 420 overlay surface, which is quite different from RGB surfaces.
Apparently there are things about YUV surfaces, but (as usual)
nothing is documented.

Besides, I'm not sure we can improve speed a lot, since we're already
using a YUV acceleration from QuickTime which is quite efficient.

--
Christophe Massiot.