Full automake build for VLC

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Mon Sep 23 16:18:54 CEST 2002

   Hi, I ported the current CVS so that it fully uses automake. This
makes the bootstrap step a lot slower, but somewhat speeds up build
times, and rebuilds are almost instantaneous. I think it is a reasonable
tradeoff.

   I'd be happy to get some feedback on how it behaves on the different
architectures supported by VLC. I successfully built VLC on my Debian
system, and Win32 cross-compilation worked as well. It seems to work on
MacOS X, but I'd like confirmation. And I have no idea how it works on
other systems.

   I put tarballs here:

    http://zoy.org/~sam/vlc/vlc-0.5.0-cvs-am.20020923.tar.bz2
    http://zoy.org/~sam/vlc/vlc-0.5.0-cvs-am.20020923.tar.gz

   If the [untar, configure, make] phase works, you can also try the
[untar, bootstrap, configure, make] phase. I updated the HACKING file.

Thanks,
--
Sam.