[vlc-devel] Re: Errors in TS Packet Validation [1/1]

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Wed Apr 2 01:07:51 CEST 2003

I'll do just one mail to answer your three patches :-).

À (At) 11:01 +0100 1/04/03, Andy Lindsay écrivait (wrote) :

>I am using VLC to handle DVB-T streams in an area of poor reception
>which leads to VLC receiving corrupted TS packets.  From this I have
>identified some errors in the way that TS & PES packets are
>validated:

Your patch for the system layer is absolutely brilliant. I have
already included it in extenso into the CVS.

As for your two patches against the MPEG decoder, I'm sad to say that
I won't include them, at least not all of them and not right now. For
several reasons : first I have stopped working on that decoder for
more than a year now, and it is obsolete ; second, starting with
0.5.4 we will use walken's libmpeg2 for the video decoding, which is
faster than mpeg_video, and doesn't have the flaws you reported (the
CVS already has support for libmpeg2 and you can test it right now) ;
third I'm afraid that some of the checks you added might imply a huge
performance hit, which is something I would like to avoid. Libmpeg2
also does the checks, but with a cleverer architecture which allows
for as low a hit as possible.

We're only a few days from releasing 0.5.3, and I won't touch the
decoder in such a critical time. However, it is possible that I might
at least include the non-critical part of your patches afterwards.

Anyway, keep up the great work ! I think you will have less trouble
if you start using libmpeg2 right now.

--
Christophe Massiot.