[vlc-devel] Re: question about VLC supporting hardware decoder

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Fri Apr 18 11:08:49 CEST 2003

On dinsdag, apr 15, 2003, at 18:10 Europe/Amsterdam, eXWorld Internet
News wrote:
> I have a PowerBook G3 300 which comes with a DVD video decoder for
> playback.  Is it possible for the VLC player to take advantage of this
> hardware for playback as well?  I do know that VLC can't play on the
> PowerBook without it, not enough video support to play DivX.

Though theoretically it is possible to take advantage of such hardware,
Apple has never published any information in this decoder, which makes
it hard for developers to make use of it. If anyone steps forward with
information considering this device, we might consider making use of
it, if we can ever figure out how it works.

Derk-Jan Hartman
---
Videolan - VLC media player
Derk-Jan Hartman (thedj at users.sourceforge.net)