[vlc-devel] Re: Subtitles in vlc

Sigmund Augdal Sigmund.Augdal at idi.ntnu.no
Fri Aug 1 16:54:25 CEST 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 01:45:37PM +0200, Elad Peleg wrote:
> 10x for the quick replay.
> unfurtunally it doesn't work very well.
> in hebrew  the subtitle should be read from right to left  and the encoders
> here show it form left to right.
I was afraid this might become a problem. Nothing is currently done in vlc
to handle right to left writing, or vertical writing. If I get some time, I
will try to look into this, but currently I have no idea how to implement it.
> the subs are not centered they are on the bottom left corner.
This was done on purpose, but since many users seems to want it centered,
I'll make a option for that. I'll even add support for right aligning it
(which may be usefull in hebrew).
> each sub is shown for about a milisecond.
> some subs are shown and othres don't(most of them not).
This sounds just strange, could you send us a copy of the subtitle file? (
to vlc-devel at videolan.org).
> the subs work well in "microdvd" but vlc plays the movies better
> i would like 2 heare if u heve some more ideas.
Does it work out of the box in microdvd? Or did you have to tweak it and set
some options to get proper hebrew? I have a hard time figuring out how the
necessary options can be autodetected.

Sigmund