[vlc-devel] Pause / Play latency when streaming from one VLC to another

John Michael Zorko j.zorko at att.net
Tue Aug 5 21:01:23 CEST 2003

Hello, all ...

I'm trying to determine the "cause for the pause", forgive my bad
poetry :-)  Basically, I am using VLC 0.6.0 in the following way:

1. VLC instance streaming a VOB using --sout udp/ts:<address>
2. another VLC instance (same box, or different box) receiving that
stream and playing it

... basically, when I pause the server VLC (using the GUI, or the rc
interface, or our own socket interface), the client VLC takes a couple
of seconds before it pauses the content.  When I resume playback on the
server, the client VLC again takes 2-3 seconds to resume playback.  I
want to reduce this latency as far as I can while remaining usable.  Is
there already an item in vlc_config.h that would get me there?  I
didn't see one that jumped out and screamed "I am the one!"  Is there a
way I can tune, say, the max number of buffers the decoder FIFO will
hold, and is this the right way of solving the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
New EP, "hope thrown down," available now at
http://www.mp3.com/fallingyou