[vlc-devel] Re: Doing an lseek() with VOB files ...

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Wed Aug 13 10:27:44 CEST 2003

John Michael Zorko wrote:

> Jean-Paul,
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
>> Does the server VLC start streaming on a I-Frame when doing ff/rewind?
>> If not you get a jumbled-up video because you then have either a P or
>> a B-Frame and they depend on previous frames.
>

> The server does an input_Seek() to the off_t of a sequence header /
> GOP.  Since I-frames are the first frame in the GOP, this shouldn't be
> an issue.  The real issue here is that, when VLC is playing from a file,
> seeking anywhere doesn't disrupt the video i.e. the seek bar in the GUI
> does not seek on I-frames, it seeks to an off_t that represents where
> the GUI bar was moved to, without regard to if this is an I-frame or
> not.  When playing from a stream, this same action (using the GUI seek
> bar on the server VLC) results in momentary disrupted video on the
> client VLC.

Does the server set the TS discontinuity bit when doing ff/rewind on the
first packet (PCR packet AFAIK) it can? Because the server needs to tell
the client that a timing gap occured.

> So, something is different when VLC is playing from a file and a seek
> happens, than playing from a stream and a seek happens on the server
> VLC.  Either the data sent from the server to the client is different in
> this case, or the code that the client VLC executes (the UDP access
> module, the MPEG demuxer, the libmpeg2 codec interface, and the
> video_output) is doing something different because it's a stream, and
> this something different is resulting in jumbled video for a fraction of
> a second every time the server VLC seeks, whether it's to an I-frame,
> GOP, sequence header, pack header or random off_t.  This is what i'm
> trying to find.

 From file you read a MPEG2-PS (I guess) and from the server you read an
SP-TS. This SP-TS goes into the ts_dvbpsi (or ts) demuxer and then to
the ps demuxer. While the file goes directly into the ps demuxer.
--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman