[vlc-devel] Re: re : audio clicks in 0.6.2

Stephan Assmus stippi at yellowbites.com
Thu Aug 14 22:58:28 CEST 2003

gbazin at altern.org wrote on Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:05:22 +0200 (CEST):

> > Is there any information available on why the audio (if
> > available) is not the primary source of synchronization
> > in the vlc design? Or have I misinterpreted something?
> >

> Because VLC was primarily designed as a network player and in this
> case you don't have any influence on the pace at which you receive
> data.
>
> It's planned to implement an audio clock synchronisation mode but
> this
> is highly untrivial to integrate in the current architecture so will
> take some time.

Could you elaborate on the reasons why the audio synchronization is
planned only as an option (mode)? Even as a network player, it makes
perfect sense (to me) to synchronize to an audio clock. I don't mean to
synchronize to the audio from the packets (which might come at an
unpredictable rate, or might not come at all), but to a virtual audio
framerate, depending on what the framerate (sometimes called
samplerate) of the received audio buffers is. The received packets can
then be applied to the virtual stream of audio depending on their
timestamps. In the ideal case, this setup would work perfect, in less
ideal cases, it cannot work worse than the current implementation.
However, the current implementation seems to work less than perfect in
the ideal case.

Regards,
-Stephan