[vlc-devel] Re: broken modules

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Mon Aug 18 18:42:52 CEST 2003

On Monday 18 August 2003 16:25, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
> I know of at least two packages which are currently broken. (i.e. create
> crashes when you use them). The xgma (matrox) is the most prominent one. I
> think we should actually remove this module alltogether, because it's
> slow. It might still be useful for a select group of ppl however with
> machines with a low-end configuration for instance.

The xmga module is a loss of time IMHO. Its main benefit is to provide
direct access to the graphics card memory but unfortunately decoding
directly into the graphics card memory is awfully slow.
I did tests with the directx plugin and found it about 2 times slower than
decoding in system memory and doing a memcpy to the graphics card memory.

Aparently its only benefit compared to Xv is that does triple buffering, but
that features doesn't justify the cost of maintaining this vout IMHO (and
it would also first need to be completed).

--
Gildas