[vlc-devel] Re: Do we have a MPEG expert in VLC?

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Wed Dec 10 03:12:57 CET 2003

Gildas Bazin writes:
 > I just tried the above sample and the problem doesn't come from VLC but from
 > the file itself. There are invalid SCR (system clock reference) timestamps
 > happening randomly (?) in the stream. VLC relies on this information to
 > read the stream at the right pace (contrary to other players like xine/
 > mplayer which don't use this info and synchronise everything on the audio
 > output clock).

I think this warrants a closer investigation. No, the problems are not
random - they occur every place that a subtitle is to appear.

Given that the example of a couple years back *purports* to be a
standard SVCD with subtitles and is probably the most advertised link
for testing SVCD subtitles, it's hard to believe that if there where
invalid SCR timetamps happening randomly, this is the first player for
which this has been noticed. I've created a new SVCD with subtitles of
my own, with the recent versions of software and get the same kinds of
drop-outs before a subtitle (with vlc only).

And I've tried this exmple on a couple of hardware DVD/VCD/MP3 players
- they don't suffer the dropout problem. One of the hardware players
tried doesn't handle the SVCD subtitles, but plays the rest fine.