[vlc-devel] Re: CVS Commit (hartman)

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Thu Dec 18 00:57:55 CET 2003

Op 18 dec 2003 om 00:47 heeft Clément Stenac het volgende geschreven:
>>   The visualizer system
>>   needs to be cleaned in 0.7.1 with one 'visual' audio filter which
>> loads
>>   one or more 'visualization' true modules.
> I am not sure creating a visualization module for each effect is a good
> idea, as needlessly increasing the number of modules slows down VLC
> startup.

you are going to incorporate the goom one in the general visual filter
then?
Now THAT sounds like a bad idea to me.
I'd rather split up the visual module in a separate scope, spectrum,
random and dummy audio-filter modules in that case.

> I think a better solution would be to remove the --effect-list config
> option and replace it by --scope, --spectrum, ... and
> associated variables with callbacks to restart the visualizer (as this
> is already partially done).
>
> The visualization menu entry needs to be reworked, it only allows one
> effect at the same time,  and does not work very well.

That's a general problem with autogenerated menu's. It's something that
needs to be fixed at the variables system level an gibalou plans to do
it, but it isn't an easy task.
The same problem exists for audio and subtitle channels.

> The close of the visualizer vout should also not destroy the audio
> output
> chain

this ought to be fixed by a 'special' option in the vout that needs to
be check by every single vout i guess.

> --
> Zorglub
> Clément Stenac
---
Videolan - VLC media player
Derk-Jan Hartman (hartman at videolan dot org)
Developer of the MacOS X port of vlc
http://www.videolan.org/vlc