[vlc-devel] Does the SPU renderer do the right thing?

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Thu Dec 25 16:19:36 CET 2003

Happy Holidays -

I was looking at the DVD subtitle rendering routine. It looks like it
only uses the Y (black/white) component for subtitles in RenderI420.

Is this correct or am I missing something?. Here's the code from
vlc/modules/codec/spudec/render.c line 142:
                    memset( p_dest - i_x - i_y,
                            p_spu->p_sys->pi_yuv[i_color][0], i_len );
                                                          ^

Which I guess is the Y component. I believe the same should be done
for the u and v components as well. This code is use where the
subtitle is completely opaque. Similar code is used when the color is
somewhat (but not fully) transparent.