[vlc-devel] Re: Problems building new VLC from source rpms

Yves Duret yves at zarb.org
Wed Feb 5 09:02:36 CET 2003

Paul Allen wrote:
> I downloaded the latest VideoLan rpms today but encountered a
> large number of dependency errors when I tried to upgrade the
> version I installed last year.  So I downloaded the source
> rpms and attempted to construct my own binary rpms from them.
>
> The first problem I noticed was that my version of rpm (4.0.4)
> was apparently not translating some macros.  An example is
> the output of "rpm --rebuild libdvbpsi-0.1.2-3mdk.src.rpm",
> which ended like this:
>
>  > libdvbpsi configuration
>  > -----------------------
>  > libdvbpsi version     : 0.1.2
>  > debug                 : false
>  > release               : true
>  >
>  > + %make
>  > /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.18038: fg: no job control
>  > error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.18038 (%build)
>  >
>  >
>  > RPM build errors:
>  >     Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.18038 (%build)
>
> I was able to get past this by removing the '%' on the make
> command in the spec file, but there were similar macro
> problems to work around in the other three source rpms as
> well.  I'm using RedHat 7.3, a not particularly ancient
> distribution.  Do I need to upgrade my distribution or
> my version of rpm?  If so, this dependency should probably
> be listed on the download page.

there is a define on top of the specfile for rh build, you should put a
1 instead of a 0. it will define all those fantastic macro that are
missing on rh systems.
%define buildfor_rh80 1
(will work with 7.2 too).
BTW there is RPM for redhat80 on ftp.videolan.org/incoming for all the
things you need (ffmpeg, libdvdplay libdvdcss, libdvbpsi .. you will
find a52 libdvdread on freshrrpms.net)