[vlc-devel] Re: [RFC] E-learning with VideoLAN

Alexis de Lattre alexis at via.ecp.fr
Thu Jan 9 20:50:38 CET 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003, Florian G. Pflug wrote :
> .) I agree with you that the "presentation-viewer-local" method is probably
> the best. By I kind of dislike the idea of such a system being built around
> two proprietary file formats, namely PowerPoint and OpenOffice. That's why I
> suggest SVG as the presentation format. But of course I don't know
> if either PowerPoint or OpenOffice support an export to SVG...

I thought that OpenOffice file format was open... but PowerPoint file
format is clearly proprietary. I also dislike that. Unfortunately,
OpenOffice can export it's presentation in SVG format, but not
PowerPoint. I don't see how we could do differently for the moment. I
think it will end-up in a first version using the sxi and ppt formats,
and a second version one day when there will be a more universal format
used by the major office suites...

> .) It might be quite important for understanding a lesson not only to see
> the slides, but to also see where the lector is pointing to while he is
> talking. If he uses a stick, or laserpointer this is nearly impossible, but
> if he uses a mouse, then some event-recording should do the trick.

I didn't think about that because our teachers at school never use their
mouse pointer for this purpose. Usually, they use animations when they
want to attract our attention to one place on the screen.

--
Alexis