[vlc-devel] [RFC] New doc module?

Loïc Minier lool at via.ecp.fr
Wed Jan 15 16:49:22 CET 2003

      Hi,

 I had two proposals for a new format of VLC's FAQ. It's currently
 stored in VLC's CVS in plain unix text format.

 Since all our docs are being converted to Docbook (SGML), we have an
 opportunity to address some problems:

1/ The FAQ is ugly, it needs another format. SGML is okay.

2/ The developers doc is in VLC's CVS, which means it is tarballed and
   packaged automatically (read: uselessly duplicated and downloaded).

3/ Most of our common docs are stored in the website's CVS.

4/ The website's CVS is not public (until now) and we need to give
   accounts for other developers to contribute doc.

5/ How can we keep in sync vlc and its developer doc?

 Changing this is not a minor problem since we should continue
 distributing the FAQ with each VLC and getting the FAQ out of VLC's CVS
 implies more work of packaging.

 I propose one of the following two options:

a/ - Create a vlc-doc/ module for all VLC related doc (HowTo, developer,
     FAQ, etc.), and - on the same model - vls-doc/.

   - Create another pub-doc/ module for all the other docs.

b/ Create a pub-doc/ containing all the above mentionned docs.

   This solves the first 4 problems, but requires some redesign of the
 packaging scheme. The fifth problem is minor and might be solved using
 branches in the new modules.

   This solution seems similar to other big projects, what do you think?

--
lool