[vlc-devel] Re: RTSP request of an aminocom STB

johnny turpin jturpin at minervanetworks.com
Thu Jul 3 23:34:39 CEST 2003

Wow - I have not been paying attention to the VLC group lately - I asked a
while back if VLC was going to support RTSP, but got no response.

Anyway, I am a middleware developer for IP STB's - and the amino STB is one
of our platforms - I have done some pretty extensive testing with the Amino
STB on both Ncube and Kasenna (Mediabase) video servers.

So what is the goal of VLC in regards to RTSP?

Do you want to support the top commercial IP based video servers (Ncube and
Kasenna)?

There are some difficulties which are not immediately obvious. First of all
Ncube has several different implementations of RTSP that they use depending
on which version of the software is running on the video server - and these
are not compatible with each other. Also, the Kasenna version of RTSP is not
compatible with either of the Ncube versions. It is a mess out there.