[vlc-devel] Re: VideoLan - Bug reporting - DOCK/FINDER CRASHING!!! icon-related?

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Tue Jul 15 10:57:19 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003, James Weisner wrote:

> After i installed VLC 0.6.0 on my computer (running Mac OS 10.2.6) i
> have been experiencing MAJOR problems!
> If i get info on any file with VLC's icon on it (avi files for
> example), the finder crashes and relaunches.
> also, i get this same type of crash when i try and open the "vlc-0.6.0"
> mounted volume.
> again the same finder-reboot when i right click on a .avi file and
> hover my mouse over the "open with..." munuitem.
> when i right-click in my dock and open up the applications folder (or
> whichever folder is containing a copy of VLC, or any of the vlc
> attributed files - those whom display it's icon) the DOCK CRASHES
> if i try and throw out VLC, the finder crashes and wont restart until i
> reinstall VLC.

I've had similar problems on my machine, several times. The only way
out I have found is to create a new user account (eg. meuuh2), copy all
files from your previous home directory to the new, and delete the old
user account. I think this is a bug in OS X, though I thought it had
been fixed since I haven't managed to reproduce it since somewhere
in the 10.2.x versions.

--
Christophe Massiot.