[vlc-devel] Re: Suggestion

Stephan Assmus stippi at yellowbites.com
Mon Jul 28 12:29:36 CEST 2003

Maybe this is just one more hint that in most (all?) interfaces, the
way preferences are displayed sucks. The current GUI is just a
visualization of the programs structure of modules and preferences. It
has nothing to do with how a user tries to find an option. For example,
deinterlacing is supplied by a video filter module. Accordingly, the
deinterlacing setting is found in two places, which is enabling the
module in video filters, and actually configuring the modules settings
themselves. Of course, this reflects only the internal structure of
vlc, but is just plain confusing or requiring way to much clicks for
the user. I can understand the way the settings windows are currently
implemented, since they will adjust dynamically when new options become
avaible in vlc. Saves time for the programmers. However, maybe this is
not the way to go. Most options suggest nothing about how they even
work and in what form an options value must be given. When I have time
to work again on the BeOS interface, I will probably rework the
settings window to have a static page for the "fast access to the most
frequently/likely used options" and another page with the dynamic
generation of the settings GUI. I have not looked closely yet, but
maybe I can even find a way to have both at the same time. For example
by using drag and drop with two listviews, one for available modules,
and one with the active ones. On the side of the active modules list, I
would place a view with dynamic content, allowing the options of the
currently selected active module to be configured. I would maybe even
go as far as making checkmarks in front of the active modules to enable
/disable them on the fly. Then the listview with the available modules
can be optionally hidden, so the user can make his own list of plugins
he is interested in only once, then hide the other available modules to
clear things up even more. The way "active" modules can be enabled on
the fly also suggest to the user that their settings will be preserved.