[vlc-devel] GSM decoder

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Sun Jun 1 22:29:07 CEST 2003

After having spent some more time working on the core (The QT lib
o.a.), I'm now convinced I have finally learned enough to tackle that
GSM decoder. I have spent some time investigating this decoder, and all
applications essentially use the same codebase.

http://kbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/~jutta/toast.html

There doesn't seem to be a real linux maintainer of the sourcecode, and
libgsm is not included in any of the Linux distros (with the exception
of debian, but no real 'source'/maintainer there either). The code has
no real base other then the above site, which is only providing the
original (1994) sourcecode.

Most software xine, mplayer and several audio de/transcoders simply use
their own inline version of gsm610. So i could of course do the same
for this code. However, i think it's better if everyone used one common
library. Could Videolan be a host for this? I think it just needs a new
configure and Makefile, to make this a proper library.

Something else. If i simply were to add it to VLC, does the code need
to be rewritten to our coding standards/rules? i think that would be
more a source of problems.

DJ

---
Videolan - VLC media player