[vlc-devel] Questions on buffer management ...

John Michael Zorko j.zorko at att.net
Wed Jun 4 05:07:39 CEST 2003

Hello, all ...

VLC's buffer management confuses me, and the VLC API documentation is
... well, often not in sync with the code (for instance, try grepping
for the decoder FIFO macros).  So, could someone explain to me
basically what the normal path is from some data read from a file (i.e.
pf_read()), through the input_FillBuffer() / input_ShareBuffer() / etc.
stuff, and finally ending up in the decoder FIFO?

As an example, pf_demux() is called often by the input thread, yet
input_FillBuffer() seems to only be called when there is an actual
packet to put in the FIFO, the reading seems to happen at the correct
rate (though grepping for i_mux_rate doesn't seem to lead anywhere
useful, either).  I'm looking for mwait() calls and the like, and I
don't see any that are related to just reading from a file and filling
the decoder FIFO.

How does VLC read the file at the correct rate?  That is basically what
i'm trying to find out -- can anyone illuminate me?

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
New EP, "hope thrown down," available now at
http://www.mp3.com/fallingyou