[vlc-devel] Re: Is GetText incompatible with Russian at all?

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Wed Jun 11 23:06:55 CEST 2003

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 12:29:51AM +0400, Arioch /BDV/ wrote:
> Hello, Sigmund!
>
>  SA> The core of the problem ( selecting the right charset) is indeed a
>  SA> problem with vlc, and this was the right place to ask. Thanks for your
>  SA> feedback.
>
> Glad to hear it.
> You may fix it by making special po-file for Russian Win32 and re-packing
> Win32 installer.
This is indeed doable, but it's not a general solution. And if there is no
standard tools to translate .po files between different charsets, then it's
probable even more trubble than doing a proper solution

> Also i hope that detection of used charset in po may be added before total
> movement to UTF8.
This is the way to go for a temporary solution, but I don't know how to do
this, since I'm not the windows guy here.

> Btw, at least for WinNT UTF16 (Unicode 2.0) is native charset.
> So conversion will be done UTF8 -> UTF16 -> ANSI
> Maybe VLC better keep strings in UTF16 internally ? That may cause a speedup
> under windows.
There are heavyweighting reasons to use UTF8, none of witch I'll discuss
here.

And please keep the discussion on the list, as others may have better ideas
than me.

Sigmund