[vlc-devel] Re: Status of VLC

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Mon Jun 16 12:39:25 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 02:09:28AM +0200, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
> I've just been sorting out my list of problematic movies
> I'm happy to say that a lot is working in 0.6.0, thank god.
>
> I now have the following list.
> Added some todo stuff on big important features as well.
>
> Unsupported
> - IV40
> - IV50
> - WMV3
> - FFV1
> - MSGSM/MSN etc.
> - amr and amr-nb
> - Real media ( there are real audio codecs in ffmpeg now, but we don't
> even support the fileformat)
>
> Partial (either VLC or external decoder has a problem)
> - ASV1 via ffmpeg, but crashes immediatly for me via VLC.
> - SVQ1 on OSX, ffmpeg has an altivec issue which creates weird colors.
> The native QT library decoder only shows a green window (first frame
> ????) This is a qt lib decoder problem i guess.
> - 3iv1 should work on osx via native QT library decoder, but crashes
> - VP31, in development by ffmpeg. still not there, major blocking (at
> least on osx). The native QT library ought to be able to decode it with
> QT components by xiph.org, but the decoder crashes.
> - IV3*, is said to work on little endian via ffmpeg. has anyone tested
> this? The big endian problems are a ffmpeg problem.
> - MACE stereo via ffmpeg is not working. (mono is) This is an ffmpeg
> problem.
> - MACE mono, QDM2 mono via qt lib decoder isn't working. I suspect this
> goes for all mono trough this decoder. Our problem.
>
> Then i've also got some weird avi file which doesn't start it's audio
> track for some reason. if I deactivate and then reactivate the track,
> it works.
>
> Other Unsupported stuff.
> - matroska
> - Real
> - some SVCD's
> - filesubs over ogm and mpeg files.
> - closed caption subs on anime DVD's

I was thinking we could add a "meta bug" to bugzilla (called "vlc doesn't
support codec/fileformat foo") witch contains a list of currently
unsupported codecs and fileformats, then each time people file a bugreport
on some missing codec we could close it as a duplicate of this meta bug, and
possibly the given codec as a comment to the meta bug if it wasn't there
allready.

There are also some things you missed.

speex - library available from xiph.org, sobody just need to use it.
fli/flc - old video codec, afaik ffmpeg can do the actual decoding, but we
          lack a demux.

> Future improvements
> - input 4, fenrir is working on it
> - lot's of other subfile options for which Dnumgis already did great
> work, but still needs improving. (Does this have to be a filter? It's
> slow :(  )
I don't think it's the filters fault that it is slow, so you should probably
have a
- improve video filter arcitechture
entry on your list.

> - centralized keybindings, again Dnumgis did great work, but needs help
> ;)
> - playlist system needs a lot of work. we've all read the RFC didn't we?
> - http control module with parsing support so ppl can create their own
> html for it. (hardcoded html is no way to go about this ;) This could
> really rock (authentication support is also needed)
> - Win CE port would rock the world
> - ALSA needs improvement
agreed, I also think we should do a JACK (jackit.sf.net) aout.

> - porting of skins to OSX
porting of skins to win98
> - bring everything to UTF8
BeOS and MacOSX allready did this move, I have a patch that works for
wxwindows on gtk1 and should work on unicode based wxwindowses as well. The
stuff that still needs to be looked at is stuff sent to the terminal (rc
interface and --help etc), the http interface( this should be easily fixed
with a http header ), the skins interface ( I don't know it's internals )
and the gtk/gnome interfaces (which I think needs to be ditched in favor of
wxwindows). To make this work everywhere I fear we have to explicitly link
with libiconv and export its functions to the plugins.

> - add something like a wait, or buffer event to tell the intf that we
> are working on your request ;)
>

> That's probably the big stuff.

Otherwise, good work on this list.

Sigmund