[vlc-devel] Re: VLC 0.5.3 experiment ... leads to segfault

John Michael Zorko j.zorko at att.net
Sat Jun 21 18:49:32 CEST 2003

Gildas,

> I manage to reproduce the problem on the 0.5.3 debian version. I cannot
> debug this as this is a release version without debugging symbols...

I built it on Red Hat 9 with debug info (--enable-debug) but it didn't
help -- gdb was thoroughly confused when the segfault happened (see my
earlier postings).  I'm hoping to test the CVS version on RH9 this
weekend, though it may have to wait until Monday (no Intel boxes here,
and my friend had problems setting one up for me).  However, it ran on
my iBook all day w/o crashing, while 0.5.3 would.  Interestingly
enough, when 0.5.3 crashed on my iBook under gdb, I was able to get a
stack trace, but it was inside of vlc_mutex_lock() and seemed to be in
the input thread (input_dec.c I believe), not video_output.c.  I didn't
pursue it, though, thinking the platforms were different enough that I
shouldn't be debugging on Mac OSX when our project is targeting RH9.

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
New EP, "hope thrown down," available now at
http://www.mp3.com/fallingyou