[vlc-devel] Re: VLC 0.5.2-test2 - Audio still held hostage (OS X)

Jon Lech Johansen jon-vl at nanocrew.net
Mon Mar 3 01:00:28 CET 2003

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 11:31:59PM -0800, Ken Loyd (ken at keness.com) wrote:
> However, clearly VLC is not leaving the audio output state in the same
> shape it found it.

It's not supposed to.

> Even the Sound System Preference Pane doesn't work after using VLC.

Could you please be more specific?

> The old 0.4.3-AC3 Edition by M-Audio switched to Dolby Digital mode,
> and then switched back when it was finished -- no problems.

Thereby removing the incentive for other developers to fix their
applications.

> Even if the way VLC is currently doing it is technically 'correct', in
> the greater scheme it is clearly not working. Plus, I can't imagine
> that it would be correct to leave the audio state in Digital A/52 mode
> even after quitting, it should go back to Stereo PCM which is
> presumably the default and what it was before VLC was run.

There is no default. It's up to each application to check the list of
supported stream formats and set the one they require.

> I just tested it, though, and I still get no sound from anywhere even
> if I go back to Stereo PCM before I quit... Clearly it's VLC, in one
> form or another, causing the problems.

I have not been able to reproduce this. Could anyone else with Sonica
please test?

--
Jon Lech Johansen
jon at member.fsf.org
nanocrew.net/blog/

Stat sua cuique dies, breve et inreparabile tempus
omnibus est vitae; sed famam extendere factis,
hoc virtutis opus.