[vlc-devel] Re: Packages

Jason Luka jason at geshp.com
Sat Mar 29 16:09:02 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 16:13, Alexis de Lattre wrote:
> Thanks ! I just commited your vlc.spec file in the CVS under the name
> vlc.spec.redhat.
>
> I updated the page http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-redhat.html with
> your new packages.
>
> I have some questions about them :
>
> - what are the packages "edb" and "imlib2" for ? We don't have such
>   packages for Debian...
>
> - the packages "aalib", "id3lib" and "alsa-lib" aren't packaged within
>   the redhat distribution ?
>
> - for which version of the RedHat distribution are these packages
>   designed for ?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> --
> Alexis

The packages "aalib" and "alsa-lib" aren't packaged with RedHat 8.0 or
9.0 (at least not the beta).  "id3lib" was left out of the distribution
because of some copyright confusion.

I built this on Red Hat 9 beta, but, I've looked through most of the
files, and there's no reason that it shouldn't run on anything as far
back as v.6.2.

Okay, the package information: When compiling ffmpeg.spec from source,
it splits into three files, ffmpeg, libffmpeg, and libffmpeg-devel.
Although, ffmpeg is not needed to run vlc, I haven't taken the toll to
seperate it into another spec file.  The ffmpeg file requires imlib2,
which requires edb.  Those two files are only needed if a user decides
to compile ffmpeg from source.

I uploaded a new version of the spec file and RPMS to fix a problem I
noticed.  My text editor mistakenly replaced all the "BuildRequires"
with "Requires."  This is making the source not check for some libraries
it needs and also the binaries require the corresponding library for
EVERY plugin vlc supports.

Jason Luka