[vlc-devel] Re: <The authorization request to distribute your software>

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Fri May 2 17:07:22 CEST 2003

Redistribution of VideoLAN software is free, provided it complies with
the terms of the GNU General Public License. An example of valid distri-
bution, and probably the most convenient for you, is to distribute
together, on the same media, the source code for the program whose
binary version you are distributing and the source code for the
third-party libraries it may use.

If you are distributing a version of VLC (for OSX), you need to include
the
following files:
   - http://www.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/0.5.3/macosx/vlc-0.5.3.dmg
   - http://www.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/0.5.3/vlc-0.5.3.tar.gz
(these files contain the GPL license)
   - http://www.videolan.org/pub/videloan/vlc/0.5.3/contrib
(for the third party libraries )

   -
http://www.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlms/0.2.3/macosx/vlms-0.2.3-
macosx.tar.gz
(for the miniserver )
Mind you that the team favours miniSapserver over the VL mini server.
  -
http://www.videolan.org/pub/videolan/miniSAPserver/0.1.0/miniSAPserver-
0.1.0.tar.gz

There is one additional issue you need to take care of. The VLC
binary from our website can also read encrypted DVDs with the help of
the libdvdcss library. Its use is controversial in a few countries
such as the United States because of a law called the DMCA. If you are
unsure about the legality of using and distributing this library in
your country, please consult your lawyer.

If you have any other question, please feel free to contact us again.
It is not necessary, but receiving a copy of this edition of your
magazine would be always be very fun.
Our postal address is :

VideoLAN
VIA Centrale Réseaux
2, avenue Sully Prud'homme
92295 CHATENAY-MALABRY Cedex
FRANCE

Sincerly,
The VideoLAN team.

On woensdag, apr 30, 2003, at 11:27 Europe/Amsterdam, Minoru Hirota
wrote:
> Dear VideoLAN Project
> Hello. My name is Minoru Hirota.
>
> We manage the Japanese Macintosh Magazine "MacPeople" and I am an
> editorial
> staff of this magazine.
>
> We have a plan to introduce world wide opensource/freeware/shareware
> and we want include your software "VLC Mediaplayer (OS X)" &
> "VideoLAN mini server".
>
> If you agree our plan to include your software, and distribute the
> software
> within our CD-ROM, please let me know about your agreement.
>
> Please let us no whether your agree to our request or not. We are
> looking
> forward to obtaining your permission.
>
> I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Our deadline is may 8th.
> Best regards,
---
Videolan - VLC media player
Derk-Jan Hartman (thedj at users.sourceforge.net)