[vlc-devel] [RFC] Interfaces and documentation

Alexis de Lattre alexis at via.ecp.fr
Fri May 2 21:47:51 CEST 2003

A recent thread in vlc at videolan.org pointed out the following problem :

- VLC has plenty of different interfaces that are organized very differently,

- it's too complex to document them all, so the actual documentation
  mainly talks about the use of VLC via the command line,

- non-Unix users hate the command line :-)

We have spoken on IRC about unifing the different VLC interfaces. For
this, we should agree on some official guidelines that all the
interfaces should follow.

Advantage : we would be able to document this unified interface

Problems : - each OS has it's own guidelines
           - it's difficult to agree on such guidelines

So we abandonned that idea, and switched to this one :

- only talk about the use of VLC's command line in the official
  documentation (VideoLAN Quickstart, VideoLAN HOWTO, VLC user guide)

- set up a WiKi where the users of the different OS could document their
  interface (with their screenshots)

<non-sense>
- have more intuitive interfaces so that there's no need to document
  them.
</non-sense>

What do you guys think of this ?

--