[vlc-devel] vlc and gprof

Sungkwan Heo sgheo at naver.com
Tue May 13 11:59:27 CEST 2003

Hi,

I've installled vlc 0.5.3 linux version where I want to run gprof profiling.

What I did for that is
  1. configure --enable-debug --enable-gprof
  2. vi Makefile and checked if -pg option was enabled
  3. make
  4. make install
  5. vlc
 (6. [file] - [open file] - select a MPEG-2 file and play on vlc program)
  7. [file] - [exit] on vlc program

When vlc was finished normally, I expected a gprof result file, gmon.out but there wasn't. Is there anything I missed?

I searched the web and found the vlc change log file:

   2001-06-14 Thursday 20:21  sam

   * Added gprof profiling support with --enable-profiling.

     It works at last! configure with --enable-profiling, build, run
  vlc (you may want to add --noaudio, it currently segfaults with sound
  here) and launch "gprof vlc" when finished.

     To make gprof work with multithreaded programs, one needs to set the
  internal ITIMER_PROF timer for each new thread launched. I did this
  through a wrapper in vlc_thread_create (see include/threads.h).

so I tried with configure --enable-profiling. It didn't turn on -pg option and didn't make gmon.out file.

How can I make a gmon.out file? Doesn't [file]-[exit] return from main() function? As far as I know, gmon.out is created only if the program is terminated normally from main() function.

Any comment will be appreciated.

Regards,

Sungkwan Heo