[vlc-devel] more going backwards ...

John Michael Zorko j.zorko at att.net
Sun May 25 02:00:51 CEST 2003

Hello, all ...

I've modified input_thread_t to have a pf_demuxdrop member (which i'm
thinking would normally act just like pf_demux, except that it would
call something in the access module to allow for seeking forward or
backward, and optionally _not_ put whatever data_packet_t's it makes
into the FIFO, the idea being to allow for "drop 3 MP3 frames and play
5" functionality).  I've also implemented the pf_demuxdrop (DemuxDrop)
in the vlc_root/modules/mpeg/audio.c MP3 module, but i've questions:

1. off_t's and seekable things ... would it makes sense to add an off_t
member to data_packet_t, this being the position in the file the packet
lives at?  Basically, from the demux module in my new DemuxDrop(), I
need to know the off_t of the current packet so I can have a start
position for seeking for the next seekable thing (i.e. MP3 frame, start
code, sequence header, GOP, etc.)  I'm not sure if I can rely on the
selected_area->f_tell member ...

2. how to do this in a media-agnostic way ... for the short term, we
need to be able to seek to any MP3 frame relative to the current one
the demux module is handling (i.e. "seek back 10 MP3 frames in the
file" or "seek forward 5 MP3 frames in the file") but ... well,
data_packet_t's hold MP3 frames just fine, but if we ever want to seek
on anything that may be bigger than one data_packet_t (i.e. a GOP, or
an I-frame perhaps), this is where it kinda gets a bit messy, as one
GOP or one I-frame may actually live in 4, 5.5, 8, etc,
data_packet_t's, right?  I want to avoid feeding the decoder module
garbage.

Thoughts?  I want to get this mostly working this weekend, even if it
only provides a starting point for further work down the road (and i'd
love to stay involved in said further work ... hacking VLC is fun!)

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
New EP, "hope thrown down," available now at
http://www.mp3.com/fallingyou