[vlc-devel] Re: vlc and libcdio - preliminary results

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Mon May 26 14:36:14 CEST 2003

On Monday 26 May 2003 06:54, R. Bernstein wrote:
> Derk-Jan Hartman writes:
>  > someone just added a raw cdda module.
>  > http://www.videolan.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/vlc/modules/access/cdda.c
>  > It works on all platforms.

> I hope vlc doesn't repeat what I think are mistakes xine made. Soon
> after cdda was initially checked in (by copying code from vcd.c rather
> than using routines from cdrom.c this as a subroutine as is done here
> -- so already vlc comes out ahead) someone put in inline CDDB
> code. And then someone added some invented (yet another?) CD-DA over
> network.

No chances for that in VLC :) As Sigmund said the plan for CDDB support was
to do it as a separate plugin (unless it doesn't add enough code, for
instance if we use libcddb).
As for CD-DA over network this is already possible with VLC thanks to its
streaming output feature. It allows you to stream a CD-DA as mpeg layer 2
(no vorbis yet) that can also be encapsulated in MPEG-TS/PS or Ogg.
No code had to be added in the CD-DA plugin for that :)

> Should it be desired to add CDDB support to the CD-DA plugin, I
> suggest using the wonderful libcddb library
> http://libcddb.sourceforge.net.
>
>  > interest always, but i think that for such a function platform
>  > independence is a requirement.
>
> I'm lost to what you are getting at here. The whole point of libcdio
> is that *it* handle the OS and drive specific stuff so it doesn't have
> to in vlc. A good organization I would think would be to have OS
> and/or drive specific code (libcdio) in one place/library, plugin
> independent code for that particular format (e.g. CD-DA routines and
> Video CD routines independent say of vlc, xine, mplayer, etc.) in
> another place/library and finally the parts that are needed for the
> specific media player. CD-DA is generally so simple - single tracks
> that much to put in a layer. For unsophisticated Video CD usage one can
> treat it like CD-DA

I totally agree. I'm all for the switch to libcdio... once it supports all
the platforms we support. Personnaly I'm not interested in working on
improving libcdio to support our needs because our own code works very
well. But once libcdio is mature enough it would be a good idea to switch
to it.

> I'm delighted that there was a conscious separation made between
> cdrom.c and vcd.c which already has paid off when writing
> cdda.c. However there still is the notion that both vlc-specific parts
> and Video CD independent navigation are handled right now in vcd.c. If
> you look at the DVD code you'll see much more of this is split out and
> even a library created for navigation.

It would be nice indeed to use a vcd navigation library. Does vcdimager
provide that ?

To summarize, I'm not ready yet to scratch our own code to use libcdio. But
if you are interested in working on a new vcd input for vlc (using libcdio
and with better navigation support) then we can certainly create a new vcd
plugin in the cvs tree.

Cheers,

--
Gildas