[vlc-devel] Re: ff / rew based on time ...

John Michael Zorko j.zorko at att.net
Mon May 26 17:48:33 CEST 2003

Stephan,

>> Awhile ago, I added ff / rewind functionality to VLC (rc interface
>> only, though input_SetStatus() is used so that the other interfaces
>> can
>> be extended to do it as well) that was purely time-based, not
>> frame-based (at the time I didn't know if a frame-based solution was
>> needed or not).  This modified only a few files (input_ext-intf.c,
>> input.c, rc.c / h, stream_control.h I believe) and used VLC's
>> input_Seek( p_input, pos, INPUT_SEEK_SECONDS) API to do it.  Is the
>> VLC
>> community interested in this functionality?
>
> Definitely!

I ended up re-implementing it using the pf_setdemuxoptions approach I
posted about earlier, as a sort of test case to see if the
pf_setdemuxoptions idea would fly.  So far, it does :-)  My next trick
is to re-implement the frame-based seeking I worked on awhile ago, but
in the pf_setdemuxoptions paradigm.  I did this all with the latest VLC
code from CVS, so merging shouldn't be an issue (though at work we're
using the 0.5.3 codebase, so merging will be an issue for me tomorrow
<grin>).

Anyway, since it works, I can do a diff -u and send the patch, while I
work on reimplementing frame-based seeking using the same framework.
Would this be cool?  Or should I make a Bugzilla entry (something like
"VLC doesn't do ff / rew") and submit the patch that way?

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
New EP, "hope thrown down," available now at
http://www.mp3.com/fallingyou