[vlc-devel] Re: configurable hotkeys

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Tue May 27 20:28:47 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 16:04, Sigmund Augdal wrote:
> I'm trying to implement configureably hotkeys in vlc and I'm making some
> progress. I'll tell here what I've done so far so people get a chance to
> shout out if they think I'm doing it the wrong way.

> I added a integer variable in p_vlc called "key-pressed". Then I created
> an interface module called "hotkeys" that adds a callback to the
> "key-pressed" variable, then matches the key-pressed variable with the
> configured hotkeys, and does appropriate actions based on this. The
> hotkeys interface is allways inserted as a backgroud interface.

This sounds great!

The only suggestion I might have would be not to do the hotkeys processing
in yet another interface module. IMHO this feature ought to be done in the
core.
The way I would see it would be to split the event processing in 2 different
steps. The key events can be bound to a specific video output (for instance
the fullscreen one) so it would make sense to do a first processing of the
hotkeys in the vout thread (in src/video_output/video_output.c or a new
file).
If we assume that hotkeys can be generated by something else than the video
outputs, then we need another point of centralisation for these hotkeys.
The playlist could be this other point. The events which are not handled by
the vout would then be redirected to the playlist events loop.

just my 2 euro cents

--
Gildas